Monday, February 04, 2013

Duncan

I write this with a very heavy heart. Around 4 am this morning I discovered our cat, Duncan, had passed on most likely due to old age. Duncan was a very elderly cat and in recent days had clearly been having rapidly increasing problems with walking and other issues. We all knew this as coming, but it is still so very hard.

He was Sandi's baby and over the years had frequently slept in her lap or on her chest every chance he got. Since she had come home from the hospital a week ago he spent nearly every minute with her often sleeping on her feet as he could no longer climb into her lap unassisted or get down without considerable help. Something she was not able to help with due to her surgery.

In the last year or so he had taken to laying next to me on the floor and supervising while I read or worked on the computer. I soon learned that if I had to get up for a minute, it was best to close the laptop or book as when I made it back I would find him lying across whatever I had been working on.

The picture below of Duncan was taken several years ago in better days....



6 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Very sorry to hear this. We lost our older cat last year, and we still grieve for her. It's especially tough with all the rest of the stuff you have going on. R. I. P., Duncan.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Bill. This is going to be very rough on Sandi and I am dreading telling her this morning.

Patrick said...

Oh boy, this is a really rough time for you, Kevin. I'm very sad to hear about your loss and I extend my sincerest condolences.

Randy Johnson said...

Any time a member of the family is lost is a bad one. We'll keep good thoughts fir you guys.

Barry Ergang said...

I'm terribly sorry to hear this, Kevin. I know from what you've told me how much Sandi adored Duncan, and I know what it's like to lose a pet, which is akin to losing a child.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Patrick, Randy, and Barry. he has been family for a very long time and it is a very hard day.